Wednesday, March 7, 2007




Man! The computers tonight were S...L...O...W..... or, at least mine was. It was so slow, I had to drive the unit in the front of the class while Pete directed us through the steps, or else I'd have another nifty watershed map, too. And Edward gave me some kind of computer crasher complex and it turned out his flash was full. My oh my, whatta night. But here's my buncombe county land use map after it was appended, clipped, dissolved and buffered. All these tools from the toolbox and I'm feeling pretty handy. Speaking of tools, I felt girlscout-prepared when Pete inquired, "Does anybody have a screwdriver?" and I whipped out the mini-leatherman like it came out of ARC toolbox. Never thought I'd need a screwdriver for GIS class. Now I'm anxious to rummage around in that little red box and do a little experimenting--maybe a little modeling one of these days. I'm having visions of community mapping and habitat suitability and restoration design. Now THAT will be exciting. Not as exciting as the belt-sander I got for Valentine's Day, but that's a topic for another blog.

2 comments:

Edward said...

Sorry about accusing you of causing my computer troubles, that was rude & obviously not accurate.

Your readiness with the screwdriver made every man in the room feel weak and insecure, good job. It would have been much worse had Pete been a woman, so at least we can be thankful for that.

I'll be looking forward to seeing your new "Belt Sander Blog" too.

Pete Kennedy said...

mary where are you????